Sunday 28 September 2008

October 8, 3420 -- Chess Fainrer's Diaries

Well, looks like I called it, though I admit I didn't think it would take this long. The Reyvateil Rebellion's now a full-scale war, and three guesses who's heading that one up.

By some miracle, I've managed to survive to see this day. I was sure I'd be dead by now, but evidently they were either too incompetent or too assured of their own superiority to track me down. All these years I've been wondering what I'd do if I was still around when she put the torch to them, and a couple of years back I think I finally made my choice.

It's suicide, I know, but quite frankly, these past fifteen years I haven't been alive anyway, so there's not much to lose. The only way this'll ever stop is if I find some way to atone.

I'm watching her now on the news-- hard to tell on this fuzzy screen, but I don't think she's changed a bit. Still that same look in her eyes I've never been able to get out of my head, the look a beaten dog gets just a second before it lunges. It's in the zone between pain and bafflement, the "why are you doing this?" look, and pure animal rage. It's poised on that thin, thin line between humanity and monstrosity. As she was when they created her. As they should have expected.

She's calling for the Reyvateils to come to her side. She'll probably kill me on the spot, but there's nothing left for me but to go.

No comments: